National Wildlife Week 2016 Educator Resources
WILDLIFE LESSON PLANS:
Studying animals and their habitats can be a valuable learning experience for students of all ages. Developing and nurturing an appreciation of nature in our children is a fundamental element that safeguards the safety of our wildlife and environment. Here we offer some lessons and activities that can be used to teach children about this year’s iconic species.
- LEGO Curriculum for K-2 “The Monarch Mission”
- Lesson 1 – Students will identify insects and their common characteristics
- Lesson 2 – What do Monarch Butterflies Need to Survive
- Pollinator’s Journey
- Students will perform a role play about a threatened migratory pollinator that will deepen their understanding of what a pollinator is, what threatens the species, and how species can be protected.
- Butterfly Life Cycle (Grades K-4)
- Students identify life cycle stages of butterflies. Older students learn threats facing the endangered Karner Blue Butterfly at each state in its life cycle.